Teaching Certification Information

Love studying English as an undergraduate? You can continue studying it as a teacher and pass your enthusiasm and knowledge on to others. A bachelor's degree in English generally fulfills most of the undergraduate course work required to teach English at the secondary level in Virginia. See Requirements for English Secondary Education in the link to the left.

You will also need to complete requirements for licensure in English secondary education. You can do this in one of two ways.

  • Complete the English Endorsement Requirements Worksheet for Secondary Education and apply to the Undergraduate-level Licensure Program in Secondary Education (a combined English BA--English Secondary Education Licensure Program). This allows you to complete the same additional licensure requirements while you get your BA in English. Use the page Matching Endorsement Requirements to Major Requirements as you plan your degree progress.
  • Complete English Endorsement Requirements Worksheet for Secondary Education and take the required tests for licensure in secondary education. Then take graduate-level course work in English education after you receive a BA in English.

It's a good idea to plan in order to make sure you are taking the appropriate courses to fulfill your required course work and prepare for a career in teaching. Consult with English Undergraduate Advisor Laura Scott.

You can prepare for your meeting with Undergraduate Advisor Laura Scott by reviewing the English Endorsement Requirements Worksheet. It lines up the course endorsements required for the English Secondary Education licensure program with course requirements in the English major.